In comparison with other institutions, the Anatomical Collection of the University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf looks back on a short history. It was founded in 1919 by Friedrich Mewes and his pro-sector Johannes Brodersen (1878-1970). The use of permanent models in teaching was intended to supplement the usual corpse dissections. It was not until the 1930s, however, that the systematic development of the collection began. Today, the teaching collection consists of preserved anatomical specimens and three-dimensional models, which are intended to provide students with a better spatial understanding of anatomical structures. Plaster, wax and plastic models convey impressions of the size, shape and position of the body organs. The Anatomical Collection has recently been expanded to include body sections and examples of modern imaging techniques. The display collection is available to students in courses and for self-study.